CA Smog Inspection due already?!?!

rock123

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Sadly, I was going to drop the v6 for a new 23 Deisel this very week. Until I spoke with three service writers and one mechanic, and watched a tech doing a YouTube on the v3 3.0. All said avoid the 3.0 like the plague.

I can live with bad pumps and egr, def issues, I couldn’t get past the basic diesel design flaws, biggest being the smaller main journals, fixed by Stellantis by changing tranny and engine software to not shift as hard or lug the engine. Essentially, the 3.0 has a poorly designed short block, you can’t fix that or have an aftermarket work around.

The other eco Deisel manufacturers? They increased the journal sizing. Then, Stellantis long term fix, kill the eco diesel forever.

v6 for a few more years, then I’m not sure.
Lot of folks on here with no problems with their ecodiesel....gen3 has a pretty decent reputation. The 3.6L V6, besides having no power and being terribly inefficient, has plenty of issues if you look on the forum. I actually lemon lawed my 3.6L about 6 years ago due to a oil pump issue that couldn't be fixed (started at 10 miles on the odometer too).
Sponsored

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
i just went through this with my 1998 silverado. had recently jumped the battery after it died. i drove it multiple nights trying to follow the procedure to get the last two monitors to turn on. it wasnt working. i finally had my wife drive it to work two days in a row. about 60 miles each way. that did it. stop and go traffic finally got the last one to turn on. for that year, the early OBD2, CA allows you to have one monitor not turn on. for newer OBD2, i believe its only the evap monitor.

order one of these little gadgets, there are various versions
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B0CG4HGGS3/ref=sr_1_7?crid=13I3AQJVQZDY6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.zPbUjJ30wIbAr6RMkZdSTzEoA_OhqeqDC0QThqL1H3L-f-iXzTLFZLxSuWy5zK5BkC2krgHTAua22a97NjCzm4YIPa6sYuAn_KwPzJ_ilUPmgH1OBfKRZEj4XllLCRMndNbeahOLzUN-mOKjq2-r54YnFzNFfqzk64jTSpx283jxpmGHu7DQOaPnSyzgDrMibx5Qe8QYxmo1bjjEEibkTpCn1rh8vrhbt2mqeyq3vdZBYVddovJRaVjPo91xM1FQDuk-zMMEWUtDeSOnvtR1oO8SbHmTXI01mk1YyARG3wI.e7BO23U6qqLOuS0-QDpe-htauJdgehTcHje79-HwxWU&dib_tag=se&keywords=elm+327+obd&qid=1712432755&sprefix=elm+327+obd,aps,324&sr=8-7

then download an app. i use Dash Command ($10). on your phone or tablet you can see in real time what ALL your monitors, guages, etc are doing. i used it to see when all my monitors turned on so it could pass smog. my truck didnt pass a few weeks ago and they gave me one week to come back for a free re-test. i forgot about this little gadget and used it to see when all the monitors came back on. that way i wouldnt have to drive to the smog shop for them to check, and waste both of our times.
and no, Autozone doesnt have the scanner to check monitors. they said they dont even sell anything.

i also used that device for my mustang when i took it to the track. i could monitor all the temps in real time. it shows you a LOT of info.

there's a free app you can use but its not as user friendly, especially while youre drving.
Thanks. I have a Autel pro scanner which I use at the shop for codes. But never used it for smog info also have a banks tuner which reads codes. What am I looking for on the scanners ?

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lot of folks on here with no problems with their ecodiesel....gen3 has a pretty decent reputation. The 3.6L V6, besides having no power and being terribly inefficient, has plenty of issues if you look on the forum. I actually lemon lemoned my 3.6L about 6 years ago due to a oil pump issue that couldn't be fixed (started at 10 miles on the odometer too).
Hello. Yes gen3 so far so good and will be good. I baby this thing ! I know it will pass

last Saturday when I went to the smog shop he said drive it for 80 miles. It’s been exactly a week and today he said you need to drive it 60 more miles for the monitors to show whatever he’s looking for I’m going to call another shop Monday and see what they recommend or if it’s bs because I told
Him and he did see the air intake …

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Thanks. I have a Autel pro scanner which I use at the shop for codes. But never used it for smog info also have a banks tuner which reads codes. What am I looking for on the scanners ?
theyre not codes, theyre readiness monitors. most code readers wont read the monitors. hence why i linked that little obd2 plug in device. heres a pic i grabbed from google to give you an idea
Jeep Wrangler JL CA Smog Inspection due already?!?! obdii-readiness

you can have NO engine codes but monitors still not ready. that's what happened to me. no codes but monitors hadnt reset. when you have a dead battery or replace one the monitors need to be reset. they will automatically after some driving time. certain conditions and speeds have to be met. driving in commuter traffic often does the trick.

theres guides online for the procedures to get them to turn on but ive never had any success trying to do them. and its really difficult with traffic. i went on the freeway at midnight and still had vehicles in my way.

RicRecon

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
Last year, I had to do smog for renewal for my 21 JLUR 3.0. Shop was 2 miles from my house. It was no biggie. Tech told me it was primarily because state believes there’s a huge incident of illegal modifications to diesel engines to remove the newer components.

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Lot of folks on here with no problems with their ecodiesel....gen3 has a pretty decent reputation. The 3.6L V6, besides having no power and being terribly inefficient, has plenty of issues if you look on the forum. I actually lemon lawed my 3.6L about 6 years ago due to a oil pump issue that couldn't be fixed (started at 10 miles on the odometer too).
I agree, no generic problem now, but hearing Stellantis decision to not fix a basic Deisel issue, crankshaft bearing width, as other manufacturers have done, nail in the coffin for me.

sure the v6 is underpowered, not, they make millions of them, and while had issues at first and will in the future, the basic core of the motor is fine.
I wish all the Deisel guys nothing but trouble free driving.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
theyre not codes, theyre readiness monitors. most code readers wont read the monitors. hence why i linked that little obd2 plug in device. heres a pic i grabbed from google to give you an idea
Jeep Wrangler JL CA Smog Inspection due already?!?! IMG_8075

you can have NO engine codes but monitors still not ready. that's what happened to me. no codes but monitors hadnt reset. when you have a dead battery or replace one the monitors need to be reset. they will automatically after some driving time. certain conditions and speeds have to be met. driving in commuter traffic often does the trick.

theres guides online for the procedures to get them to turn on but ive never had any success trying to do them. and its really difficult with traffic. i went on the freeway at midnight and still had vehicles in my way.
Copy that

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
The frustration of having to smog every 2 years and this year/month mine is due. Yet my jeep is all torn apart and won’t be done for a couple more months.

Jeep Wrangler JL CA Smog Inspection due already?!?! 73566845967__F28B1811-90A9-492D-AC14-DB4B0FF7B5C8

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
May you not have to deal with a DMV hairball, but be prepared if it’s not done by the renewal date. Late fees are confiscatory, and you can’t legally drive it to get smog checked with expired tags.
I had a hell day of 3 trips standing in line at DMV and 4 trips to insurance once…….
Insurance ….
We can’t insure it without current registration.
DMV ….
It can’t be registered without proof of insurance
me 😵💫
Had a great day getting it sorted out :headbang:

Last edited:

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
The frustration of having to smog every 2 years and this year/month mine is due. Yet my jeep is all torn apart and won’t be done for a couple more months.

Jeep Wrangler JL CA Smog Inspection due already?!?! 73566845967__F28B1811-90A9-492D-AC14-DB4B0FF7B5C8
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that scenario. I guess you're supposed to register as PNO, then re-register when you're done. Although, you won't be able to re-register until you're smogged and you can't drive the vehicle to the smog shop until it's re-registered . . . 🙃

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
"F" Kalifornia!
I feel I've earned the right to say that after living there and enduring their BS for 56 years. 🤣
Yeah I feel ya.

Was talking to my father, a native Californian who recently moved to another state, and I liked the way he put it:

"The land of California is amazing, unrivaled for variety and scenic beauty, blessed with mild, pleasant weather -- it's the people that suck. If you could just populate the land of California with the people of Texas, then you'd really have something . . ."

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Yeah I feel ya.

Was talking to my father, a native Californian who recently moved to another state, and I liked the way he put it:

"The land of California is amazing, unrivaled for variety and scenic beauty, blessed with mild, pleasant weather -- it's the people that suck. If you could just populate the land of California with the people of Texas, then you'd really have something . . ."
Yep, I'd have to agree with your father. Spent the first 56 of my years there. It resembles less every day, the great place I grew up in...
Sad.
But I digress.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that scenario. I guess you're supposed to register as PNO, then re-register when you're done. Although, you won't be able to re-register until you're smogged and you can't drive the vehicle to the smog shop until it's re-registered . . . 🙃
I already paid for the tags. So PNO isn’t an option. When she is done, I’ll have to trailer her to a smog shop and then wait for her tags to come in.
Sponsored