Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This recently released chart by FCA (see full business plan) shows the different JL Wrangler drivetrains that will be offered throughout its model life in order to comply with emissions standards.

The next generation Wrangler JL will receive at various points in its life cycle:
  • gasoline engines from FCA's current crop of engines (in the form of upgraded Pentastar V6)
  • next generation powertrains, which includes a 'mild hybrid' system utilizing regenerative braking (which recaptures energy to help charge the car's battery used for car's electrical systems) and the "Hurricane" turbo 4 cylinder engine
  • Next gen diesel
  • Full hybrid

Besides the new drivetrains, the JL Wrangler's platform architecture also focuses on reduced energy demand through:
  • extensive use of high strength steel and alternative materials
  • active aero system to reduce drag
  • advanced electronic systems such as axle disconnect and electric steering systems

As this chart shows, increased efficiency is clearly an important part of the next generation of Wranglers.

jl-wrangler-engines.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
An electric powered Jeep just seems so weird to me. But I guess you have to keep up with the times and also meet federal mandated MPG standards.

Interesting bit about the active aero. Any idea what that might be?

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
An electric powered Jeep just seems so weird to me. But I guess you have to keep up with the times and also meet federal mandated MPG standards.

Interesting bit about the active aero. Any idea what that might be?
maybe active grille that closes and open depending on speed?

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
maybe active grille that closes and open depending on speed?
The only other active aero is usually an active rear spoiler/wing which isn't applicable to the Jeep. So an active grille is a high likelihood. If it works like most other active grille systems, the grilles will probably shut at highway speeds (55+ MPH) to divert airflow around front of the Jeep for better aerodynamics. The Ram 1500 has a system like this.

Chinster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imagine the range anxiety when guys are off road in wilderness in their electric Jeep lol.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
The only other active aero is usually an active rear spoiler/wing which isn't applicable to the Jeep. So an active grille is a high likelihood. If it works like most other active grille systems, the grilles will probably shut at highway speeds (55+ MPH) to divert airflow around front of the Jeep for better aerodynamics. The Ram 1500 has a system like this.
Even without active aero, the JL will be slipperier with just a more angled windshield and front grille.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I don't like regenerative braking systems. Anytime I've been in a hybrid or EV with the tech, it feels like I'm in a golf cart. When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the car bassically starts brakkng by itself. It's mild be it still feels like you're either accelerating or brakkng, never just cruising. Hope it doesn't feel like that in the JL

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I don't like regenerative braking systems. Anytime I've been in a hybrid or EV with the tech, it feels like I'm in a golf cart. When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the car bassically starts brakkng by itself. It's mild be it still feels like you're either accelerating or brakkng, never just cruising. Hope it doesn't feel like that in the JL
I know the feeling, it feels like engine braking. Some cars with brake regen have multiple settings for the function: mild and strong. Mild will simulate engine braking feel of a normal car when you let off the gas and a Strong setting which gives a strong deceleration while also feeding more power back into the battery.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
What I'm waiting for is the next gen diesel. Will it be 4 or 6 cylinder?

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
What I'm waiting for is the next gen diesel. Will it be 4 or 6 cylinder?
Yea I've always been jealous of European owners who have diesel option. They currently have a 2.8L 4 cyl diesel option so I'm guessing the diesel we get in 2020 will also be diesel 4cyl.

Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
For the fellas worried in the other threads about turbo lag and non-instant torque in the turbo model, the full hybrid model when it comes will solve all that and be the best of both worlds. The electric motor will give instant torque and fill in the RPM range before the turbo spools up.

Jelly Belly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Was hoping the diesel would be available at launch with the first model year. Any idea why they're waiting until 2020 to bring it considering this diesel engine is already being used in the U.S.?

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just noticed the pickup model isn't on the chart. Possible clue that it won't be called the Wrangler?

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Was hoping the diesel would be available at launch with the first model year. Any idea why they're waiting until 2020 to bring it considering this diesel engine is already being used in the U.S.?
Could just be that from a product planning standpoint they think it's better to roll out the diesel model a couple of years after the JL's debut for some reason. Would be surprised if there's a technical reason for it since it's not a new engine.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
Just noticed the pickup model isn't on the chart. Possible clue that it won't be called the Wrangler?
FCA already confirmed it will be based on the Wrangler. I'd be surprised if they didn't leverage the name but then again they may want to keep it completely distinct for it to be taken seriously as a competitor to the established pickup competition.
Sponsored