Sponsored

2020 JLU. Removable Front Dual Roof Panels

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Passenger side. Same as drivers side but mirrored/flipped.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels FD7631E1-81CB-416C-9EEC-DA621AF218CB
Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife removed the freedom panels by herself on hers the other week and surprised me with that info when I got home. Thus, I know it's easy to figure out because she has blonde roots and is sometimes mechanically challenged. :)

I helped her reinstall them the next day, mainly to help keep anything from getting scratched. I was surprised at how light they were, compared to her old JK panels. I'm wondering if the doors will be the same way when we eventually take them off.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
So did you also unscrew the latches from the panels?
The 2 latches do not need to be unscrewed. Just pull it down to dislodge the panel, to free it up to be lifted out, once the brackets are removed.
To get the front freedom panels off, the brackets did NOT need to be unscrewed to begin with. Nothing did. As you have now learned, the latches rotate.
The 6 brackets do need to be screwed in to put them back, after which you flip the latch down to lock it shut.
I AM LOOKING FOR PICTURES OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE L SHAPED BRACKETS, SO I MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN PLACE CORRECTLY.
Stop shouting: we heard you.

You are missing that everyone here is telling you that those brackets did not need to be unbolted in the first place. Removing them was a mistake. But you won’t admit it because you live in a world where you don’t make mistakes, other people do.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My wife removed the freedom panels by herself on hers the other week and surprised me with that info when I got home. Thus, I know it's easy to figure out because she has blonde roots and is sometimes mechanically challenged. :)

I helped her reinstall them the next day, mainly to help keep anything from getting scratched. I was surprised at how light they were, compared to her old JK panels. I'm wondering if the doors will be the same way when we eventually take them off.
They are.

No really. Much lighter than JK doors. If she’s relatively fit she can probably manage to lift them herself.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Amaruq, the picture was all I was looking for. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Notorious, yes I now know unscrewing the brackets was a mistake; I wasn't shouting. I wanted to draw attention that I am looking for a picture to rectify.
So, in order to remove the hard top panel, just flipping the latch on both sides is good enough? Will the panel then just slide / come out ?
With my back pain, I have to say that the panels indeed are light.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot everybody. All info is very helpful.
Headbarcode, would it be possible to get pictures of the two door side brackets. Your pictures were very helpful.
Driver side
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 20200719_103502

Passenger side
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 20200719_103519

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Amaruq, the picture was all I was looking for. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Notorious, yes I now know unscrewing the brackets was a mistake; I wasn't shouting. I wanted to draw attention that I am looking for a picture to rectify.
So, in order to remove the hard top panel, just flipping the latch on both sides is good enough? Will the panel then just slide / come out ?
With my back pain, I have to say that the panels indeed are light.
Yes, just turn each handle 90° to unlatch and latch the panel. Here's a pic of the front middle latches. The left one is unlatched and the right is latched.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 1595169845203

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...... I wasn't shouting. I wanted to draw attention that I am looking for a picture to rectify....
I typically use bold type for that because people take all caps as shouting. No big deal you accomplished what you were trying to do and drew attention to the request.

......So, in order to remove the hard top panel, just flipping the latch on both sides is good enough? Will the panel then just slide / come out ?
Yes they will come off just the same, but without having to deal with tools.
The two front latches still hinge and clamp like you figured out. Your dealer let you down. They should have explained how to take the panels off as well as explaining other features of the Jeep. Don't worry, even though they dropped the ball, we've got you covered.

To remove the front panels (Jeep calls the "Freedom Panels"), you unlatch the two front latches that you figured out. All of the L shaped brackets are actually wedge style clamps. They rotate 90° Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise depending on the side. They will pivot/rotate about the center axis of screw that you removed. With them rotated away from the catch plates the panels will lift off just like when you removed the clamps. When you reinstall the panels the latches will snug down on the catch plates.

......With my back pain, I have to say that the panels indeed are light.
Agreed. Very manageable.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Mike's picture shows locked and unlocked much better than a description will do.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
@Shots @Headbarcode @Amaruq , solid advice.

I will add that there is a sequence to removing and replacing the freedom panels so that the integrity of the seals are maintained.

When removing: drivers side out first, passenger side out second.

When replacing: passenger side in first, driver’s side in second.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Your dealer let you down. They should have explained how to take the panels off as well as explaining other features of the Jeep. Don't worry, even though they dropped the ball, we've got you covered.
I 100% agree with this..........complete fail on the part of the dealerhip/salesperson.

I'm on my 6th Wrangler and my salesperson still spent almost 30 minutes with me going over all the new features on the JL, including letting me know that there were no more thumb screws to worry about on the freedom panels, pairing my phone and setting up the garage door opener.

@Artif, please post who your dealer was so people in the GTA know who to avoid

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have had an excellent service from the dealer. Can't complain at all. Every step of the way, pre and post sales have been EXCELLENT. As a matter of fact I would highly recommend them. They have helped me enormously on many occassions, when I have gone to them before and after sales. Keith, my sales person gave me the keys to the demo JLU without (before buying) hesitation, when I asked him that I wanted to drive the jeep to my home to see if it fits in the garage. Keith spent almost an hour to explain, once our jeep was ready. It is possible he may have missed out telling me about the panel. Heck, on second thoughts, he may have explained it to me, but in excitement to drive away the new jeep I may have overlooked this part of his explanation.
Pickering Chrysler Dodge Jeep.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Suggest you read the full owners manual (not the little booklet that came in the glove box) before attempting anything else.
Sponsored