Sponsored

Bronco killer/JL w Independent suspension, wider, longer (Grand Wrangler)

Willys.JLU.2021

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler willys sport jlu
OK I know this post will have some heads exploding but here goes. I had a new 86 CJ-7
Kept it 7 years, see profile pic..bought a 92 Wrangler Sahara had it 5 years , then a 2004 Rubicon for 7 and now have a 2021 JL Willys . I traded a Ram 1500 Big Horn in on the Willys. I wanted the Jeeps for the same reason we all do. I like the looks, the fun, the mods, trails, capability used to go on tougher trials, all of it. But Ive been thinking about the perfect Jeep for people who dont need/have to have solid axle but who still want a Jeep. So here goes. 1) Looks just like the current Wrangler but is a few inches wider, a few inches longer, ( ok about the size of the Bronco)has independent suspension (calm down dont cuss), a little more leg room, the seats are wider/more comfortable etc. Many are not going to rock crawl at this point or hard core wheel. Give it a new name. It would still have a lot of capability. It would kick Broncos ass in my opinion. There are many many who would rather have a Jeep but buy the Bronco for the comfort. Jeep is getting hurt. We who are loyal know that. Call the current Wrangler "Classic" and or this version Grand Wrangler or whatever. There will always be demand for solid axle in the Wrangler, that will always be but comfort does come into play for some who love Jeep Wranglers at some point. And no, I am keeping my current Wrangler. I will suffer on those long trips just to have the fun when I get where I am going. But we know Bronco is taking 50k plus Jeep sales away. A lot..Theres talk the Gladiator may not survive. The Renegade was a piece of crap. Compass? come on..Jeep needs another model for a different demo. We all want Jeep to thrive and survive the long term. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wider and longer than the JLU? Comfy seats? IFS? Stellantis already builds this vehicle in several variants. Ram 1500, trx, grand cherokee, wagoneer. Building an IFS "wrangler" will mean the beginning of the end fit the solid axle even if they offered both at 1st. Hard Pass.

OP
OP
Willys.JLU.2021

Willys.JLU.2021

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wider and longer than the JLU? Comfy seats? IFS? Stellantis already builds this vehicle in several variants. Ram 1500, trx, grand cherokee, wagoneer. Building an IFS "wrangler" will mean the beginning of the end fit the solid axle even if they offered both at 1st. Hard Pass.
Why would it be the end of solid axle?
Wouldnt there be a lot of demand for it?
The Wrangler is in a class all of its own. it should not be compared to the Bronco. The Bronco is just another IFS SUV which competes against all the other IFS SUVs.
maybe it shouldnt be compared to Bronco but it is in direct competition to it. Losing sales to it. Jeep is hurting..I dont want solid axle to go away..why would it..?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Why would it be the end of solid axle?
Wouldnt there be a lot of demand for it?

maybe it shouldnt be compared to Bronco but it is in direct competition to it. Losing sales to it. Jeep is hurting..I dont want solid axle to go away..why would it..?
Ford copied the wrangler nearly spec for spec, doing things they've never done like really low range transfer case gears, front lockers, swaybar disconnect, etc but failed by going IFS. Why should Jeep fail along with them only to lose sales to the 4runner? Not to mention they'd be cutting in to grand cherokee and wagoneer sales. If you want a comfy IFS suv you have at least a half dozen options. If you want a solid axle you have... the Wrangler. I just don't see the upside.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
OK I know this post will have some heads exploding but here goes. I had a new 86 CJ-7
Kept it 7 years, see profile pic..bought a 92 Wrangler Sahara had it 5 years , then a 2004 Rubicon for 7 and now have a 2021 JL Willys . I traded a Ram 1500 Big Horn in on the Willys. I wanted the Jeeps for the same reason we all do. I like the looks, the fun, the mods, trails, capability used to go on tougher trials, all of it. But Ive been thinking about the perfect Jeep for people who dont need/have to have solid axle but who still want a Jeep. So here goes. 1) Looks just like the current Wrangler but is a few inches wider, a few inches longer, ( ok about the size of the Bronco)has independent suspension (calm down dont cuss), a little more leg room, the seats are wider/more comfortable etc. Many are not going to rock crawl at this point or hard core wheel. Give it a new name. It would still have a lot of capability. It would kick Broncos ass in my opinion. There are many many who would rather have a Jeep but buy the Bronco for the comfort. Jeep is getting hurt. We who are loyal know that. Call the current Wrangler "Classic" and or this version Grand Wrangler or whatever. There will always be demand for solid axle in the Wrangler, that will always be but comfort does come into play for some who love Jeep Wranglers at some point. And no, I am keeping my current Wrangler. I will suffer on those long trips just to have the fun when I get where I am going. But we know Bronco is taking 50k plus Jeep sales away. A lot..Theres talk the Gladiator may not survive. The Renegade was a piece of crap. Compass? come on..Jeep needs another model for a different demo. We all want Jeep to thrive and survive the long term. Thoughts?
I’ll start with my 21 Wrangler Does Ride Like My GC in “sport mode” , steering and handling are very good with nearly un noticeable wander below 80mph. OK, I’ll give you the seats that are too hard,(reportedly corrected with memory foam pad swap and planned). No “suffering” heck, I have fun getting there, or just running errands. That’s why the GC has been a garage Queen since I got it.
So you want a Jeep like vehicle but longer and wider (ok about the size of a Bronco) has independent suspension, like a Bronco , So get one. I’ve had two, one (69) I wish I still had, the other (89) I soon regretted getting.
I will agree to a point, instead of bastardizing and bloating the Wrangler even more just make a new vehicle to complete with LR and similar. But don’t give it a “Wrangler” badge. 🤔

OP
OP
Willys.JLU.2021

Willys.JLU.2021

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll start with my 21 Wrangler Does Ride Like My GC in “sport mode” , steering and handling are very good with nearly un noticeable wander below 80mph. OK, I’ll give you the seats that are too hard,(reportedly corrected with memory foam pad swap and planned). No “suffering” heck, I have fun getting there, or just running errands. That’s why the GC has been a garage Queen since I got it.
So you want a Jeep like vehicle but longer and wider (ok about the size of a Bronco) has independent suspension, like a Bronco , So get one. I’ve had two, one (69) I wish I still had, the other (89) I soon regretted getting.
I will agree to a point, instead of bastardizing and bloating the Wrangler even more just make a new vehicle to complete with LR and similar. But don’t give it a “Wrangler” badge. 🤔
Good point...I think f....g w the name is what gets the passion going..ok direct competitor to Bronco..looks a lot line a Wrangler...call it something else..and the Recon just doesnt do it for me looks wise..and no ICE

JLfromCA

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! 2 Door Rubicon/2024 Sarge Green 392
I didn’t say the solid axle would go away. All I said was the wrangler is in a class all by itself and really shouldn’t be compared to an IFS SUV. I’m not surprised that it’s losing sales to the bronco most people don’t care or even know what a solid axle is. That group is going to bail on the bronco shortly and go after the new lineup of Toyota IFS SUVs. The 4runner, Land Cruiser, Lexus.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
IFS has been brought up on these Wrangler forums countless times. I'm sure it gets bantered about in the marketing concept meetings every model year and probably has for decades.

If Jeep is loosing sales, it isn't because of IFS, IMO. Listen to the what the jeep owners say when they leave these forums and buy other vehicles. I don't recall anyone talking about IFS as the reason. But each Jeep brand owner has done its best to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. So, it's inevitable some foreign executive will do something they will become notorious for.
Sponsored

Last edited: