Sponsored

Dealer quoted $399 for tire size recalibration!

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
@Mitoni Just out of curiosity, where in Florida are you?
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Dealer told me similar. $400, but they’d rather not do it cuz it’s a PIA. And since I’d rather not pay $400, I just remember my speedo is 5% low
Copy / pasted the implications from another thread:
  • Speedo being lower than actual. Cops don't usually accept "I just got 37s" as an excuse, so you're constantly having to calculate about a 5% delta from reality.
  • Odometer miles travelled are lower than actual. Pure speculation, but this might be a federal crime (for those that care).
  • Auto trans (if applicable) won't shift as intended.
    • Many Wranglers seem to not be able to get into 8th like this.
    • Performance hindered due to shifting at non-optimal shift points.
    • Fuel mileage hindered due to shifting at non-optimal shift points.
  • Your actual miles per gallon is higher than the Jeep calculates. The larger tires will also have a real / potentially significant impact, so you might be shocked when your dash shows numbers far worse than you were expecting.

Tokenwasp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU 4xe Rubicon; 2008 Saab 9-3 Conv.
This is why I go to the dealer I do now. The previous dealer I went to, which was closer, cost me $6752 in repairs because they claimed it was "customer abuse" that caused it. Long and short of it was that the MGU failed 3 days after I took her home from the dealer I factory ordered from, at 151 miles on the odometer. With those first three days, I installed my aftermarket bumper to put my winch in, which I had in my Gladiator before (which I traded in). Dealer I took it to claimed that one of the wiring harnesses that connect to the main fuse was damaged which caused the MGU to short, and that it appeared it had been removed improperly and reinstalled. Meanwhile, I never even opened the fuse box, since a winch connects directly to the battery. I even went through warranty arbitration to fight it but they sided with the dealer and FCA.

So, I not only had to pay for 2 weeks of a rental car (about $970) before I was told it wouldn't be warranty and I borrowed my mom's car instead, but the new MGU, new Transmission harness, and a couple days labor (total $6752), but they took 3 months to do it because by the time they ordered it, the MGU was on backorder...

So picked up my Jeep 11/19/22, but then it was back at this dealer until 2/27/23..
All that, and you still went to a dealer for....tires?

🤷‍♂️

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I put 285/70/17's on my Willys and they are spot on. Can't imagine the 75's are enough bigger to matter. ( I'm not going to do the math)

G.

OP
OP
Mitoni

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mitoni

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Mitoni

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put 285/70/17's on my Willys and they are spot on. Can't imagine the 75's are enough bigger to matter. ( I'm not going to do the math)

G.
According to the spec sheet from Falken the 285/70R17 vs 285/75R17 is 33" vs 34.1", so small enough difference.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Orlando area. Stay far far away from Seminole CDJR if you ever need service.
Copy that, I won't darken the door of our local dealership. If you are ever in the Sarasota area, look me up (see avatar).

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 2017 WK2, 2018 JLU, 2022 JTOD
in all fairness those are SL load not sure I would run them on my jeep let alone a 1500..please post the shop so I can call them and see what the actual otd for 5 c or e load tires are. I will post the quote.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer quoted $399 for tire size recalibration! IMG_6654
Let us know what you find out 👍🏻

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

G.
Here’s the breakdown. Less than 3mph off at highway speeds.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer quoted $399 for tire size recalibration! IMG_6655

Sponsored

Kbc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 wrangler 2 door jl v6 6 speed
I have a 24 wrangler jl v6 std transmission and went to 35 and regear to 456 and the Taser would not work in fact shut down my jeep and the dealership is waiting for Stellantis engineers to send a new program to them ???

OP
OP
Mitoni

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Auto trans (if applicable) won't shift as intended.
    • Many Wranglers seem to not be able to get into 8th like this.
    • Performance hindered due to shifting at non-optimal shift points.
    • Fuel mileage hindered due to shifting at non-optimal shift points.
Curious about this. Do larger tires not get into higher gear because you need a regear, or because it is set wrong in the computer? I always took it as the gearing and the lower rpm at the same speed as the stock

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious about this. Do larger tires not get into higher gear because you need a regear, or because it is set wrong in the computer? I always took it as the gearing and the lower rpm at the same speed as the stock
In my experience it has nothing to do with the computer, and more to do with the rolling resistance of a heavier tire. I see 8th gear all the time in my Gladiator eco with 3.73s and 37s, and my wife has zero issues with 4.10s and 37s in her gasser Willys. Hers will downshift more often with the larger tires but she’s also over 100lbs per corner now so it makes sense.

I would be willing to bet if you somehow found a wheel that weighed 60lbs and put a stock tire on it, it would act the same way. Has very little to do with tire diameter. Shift points, yes, those are affected. But not being able to go into a gear I disagree with. It just won’t hold that gear like it did with a lighter tire on it before.

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler rubicon w/AEV 2.5 dualsport lift
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer quoted $399 for tire size recalibration! IMG_6655
Let us know what you find out 👍🏻
I just called and they said they could not get c load or e load in 285/70-17 and recommended bfg ko2's.
Sponsored