E Torque battery Disconnecting

OP
OP

Recon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Hi guys. Thank you all for all the very positive replys and suggestions on the etorque batteries. The disconnect instructions were extremely helpful and the video is the best explanation of what all of us with the etorque have and how to work with it. I had myself worried that things were more complicated than they really were. I am used to the simplicity of my 2008 powerwagon. Everything is easy and straightforward. All of you helped tremendously. We had a Revelco security installed in the jeep today and this all gave me the information need to be sure they disconnected the battery correctly. Now on to the self installed winch, lights and compressor! Thanks again.
Sponsored

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
No because you will change out the normal 12v car battery under the hood just like any other battery. As for the 48v etorque battery under the Jeep it will be under warranty for longer than you’ll likely own the Jeep and even after that you would probably take it to a shop to change it.
I'm a new Wrangler owner ('23 2door JL Sport, 6-cyl auto with e-torque). My last Wrangler was a 2003 TJ....a quantum leap in technology. Just making sure I understand the IBS as I've seen several posts that seem to indicate that replacing the main 12-volt battery causes problems with the IBS.

We service our vehicles at an independent shop that we have used for more than a decade and trust. The shop's lead tech has become a personal friend that I trust completely. I've had my share of bad experiences at dealer shops ranging from unnecessary (and un-authorized) work to a laundry list of work that MUST be performed or you're gonna die!

Part of the regular maintenance my shop does may include putting the battery on a charger for a short period and then letting it sit for at least 8-10 hours before testing the state of charge. If the battery's charge is less than nominal the shop will remove and replace the battery.

Two questions:
1 - Will the simple task of removing and replacing the 12-volt battery have ANY impact on the IBS? And I mean that quite literally. Any impact at all or is replacing the 12-volt battery in my new Jeep a non-event like it was in my '03 TJ?

2- Other than what Mopar "recommends" are there ANY issues replacing the factory 12-volt battery with a different brand (assumes same stats...cold cranking amps, etc)?

As I mentioned my last Jeep was an '03 TJ. Over the last 20-years the technology has exploded leaving my 'fix-it with a screwdriver and socket wrench' brain in the dust. My owner's manual says only what the IBS is and does and nothing about the world ending when the main battery is replaced. At least a search thru the PDF version of the manual carries no such warnings so I gotta believe that swapping out or disconnecting the battery for whatever reason is a non-event.

Comments? Thanks.

Last edited: