Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Update, the dealer repaired it yesterday. The incoming fuel line to the new high pressure pump was loose. Of course, that means they didn't install it adequately when they installed the new pump last month. Scary. That could have been a fireball disaster.
That may mean it ran dry as it could have been sucking in air. I would want them to replace it again.
Sponsored

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Update, the dealer repaired it yesterday. The incoming fuel line to the new high pressure pump was loose. Of course, that means they didn't install it adequately when they installed the new pump last month. Scary. That could have been a fireball disaster.
That sucks but good thing they found the issue. Also the good thing about diesel is it is not nearly as flammable as gasoline. You can take a lit match and extinguish it in diesel.

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
That may mean it ran dry as it could have been sucking in air. I would want them to replace it again.

Great suggestion. I've asked if any damage could have been done to the new pump and fuel rail and they said to verify they pressure tested it. I'm not qualified to know if that's sufficient, but I did ask about it.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Great suggestion. I've asked if any damage could have been done to the new pump and fuel rail and they said to verify they pressure tested it. I'm not qualified to know if that's sufficient, but I did ask about it.
Yeah, fuel lubricates the pump. If it was sucking air it wasn't getting properly lubricated. That can shred a pump pretty fast.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Sorta. The dealer has four new HPFPs in stock and they’ve set one aside for me. My install is on the 16th.
Don't do it man, when that one bricks, you'll be out of pocket for the next one!

Think about it this way, potentially your CP4.2 could last 100,000 200,000 miles... So if you wait to get the warranty work done at 75,000 mi or maybe even 100,000 mi, you'll basically get a new CP4.2 (That's a $1,200 part with labor for FREE) and double the lifetime of your HPFP!

It's a no-brainer, and a win-win!

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Don't do it man, when that one bricks, you'll be out of pocket for the next one!

Think about it this way, potentially your CP4.2 could last 100,000 200,000 miles... So if you wait to get the warranty work done at 75,000 mi or maybe even 100,000 mi, you'll basically get a new CP4.2 (That's a $1,200 part with labor for FREE) and double the lifetime of your HPFP!

Too late. :)
I'm counting on the new fuel pump to work as intended - forever.

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Have mine scheduled for next tuesday, dealer called today to verify the parts are in. Really dreading doing this, but would much rather just do the pump, than have to do the whole system. 36k miles and 2 cross country trips on my '21. I've been putting it off for as long as possible to make sure the dealer has a few under their belt. Wish me luck!!

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

Sure, unless you're many miles in the "back-of-beyond" away from cell service and paved roads when it decides to give up the ghost. At that point I'll wager that the "free fuel pump" will start to seem like much less of a bargain!

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Sure, unless you're many miles in the "back-of-beyond" away from cell service and paved roads when it decides to give up the ghost. At that point I'll wager that the "free fuel pump" will start to seem like much less of a bargain!
Yeah with everything I'm going to be doing to my EcoDiesel, dealership trips aren't going to be an option here before too long.

As it is I plan on putting in a RCD Performance CPX HPFP at 75,000 mi. They actually fixed the CP4.2, not just slap a new part number on it and say it's something special without being specific like Mopar did. 🤪

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Yeah with everything I'm going to be doing to my EcoDiesel, dealership trips aren't going to be an option here before too long.
Yes, I rather imagine that will be the case. The service department might not even be able to figure out what model of Jeep they're working on 🙃

As it is I plan on putting in a RCD Performance CPX HPFP at 75,000 mi. They actually fixed the CP4.2, not just slap a new part number on it and say it's something special without being specific like Mopar did. 🤪
I didn't know there was an aftermarket option. Interesting. Sure would be nice to see what the internals of the replacement OEM pump look like and what their solution was but AFAIK no one's taken one apart yet.

Sponsored

RandyP111

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport

Have been running my CPX for 6000 miles...I am vey satisfied so far. Stellantis has been ignoring my requests for compensation on my self recall...I don't care at all. I am taking my truck everywhere and looking forward to hunting season. Good luck to you with yours.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel FarOut
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Well I refuse to take it to the local dealer, so you other Texas dudes let me know who to trust. I have vacation days to spare and love my rig just as it is. I don’t want someone incompetent messing it up, and that describes our service dept. I do know a good Ford diesel mechanic, but I’ve been told other dealerships are a no-go.
The dealer I bought mine from in October had to perform the HPFP install before allowing me to sign any contract and take possession of the vehicle, but I can say after 6600mi, I've had zero issues. Dodge City in McKinney, TX did the install. I wouldn't recommend buying from them but their service guys and techs all seem to be pretty squared away and very helpful and friendly.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Yes, I rather imagine that will be the case. The service department might not even be able to figure out what model of Jeep they're working on 🙃
Maybe like a month or two ago, a guy in some shitty four banger pulled up beside me at a stoplight and complimented me by saying "I like your JK!" :LOL: 😍

Memorial weekend I'm planning on going off-roading and will probably post about it on here, see if we can't get some North Texans to join up at Barnwell, but after that I'm going to at least temporarily remove my front bumper. And I'm going to look into the idea of either putting a self-built stubby bumper with a winch plate, or possibly seeing if it would be possible to completely cut off the front bumper mounts (which I understand is part of the frame), but it would make my approach angle be one of a kind on the JL's. Well maybe not one of a kind for JL's, but definitely one of a kind for a JL running 35s.

In taking off the front bumper I will have successfully removed my turn signal lights so I'm going to be moving them to the same location they are on the JK's grill. And then at a later date I'll probably upgrade those 3/4-in LEDs to proper JK turn signal LEDs. Then all I need to do is downgrade my handles on the exterior of the vehicle and people won't be able to tell the difference! 😜

I'll have the world's first factory EcoDiesel JK! :CWL:

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
Memorial weekend I'm planning on going off-roading and will probably post about it on here, see if we can't get some North Texans to join up at Barnwell.
I may be up for this. Have a trip the week before to KC for my daughters school project. If I am not beat to death, I have this on my schedule! I haven't been to Barnwell since I had my JK.
Sponsored