CharlesC

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara Altitude
@Jeep

So, this month, 2 years ago, I decided to go to my local CJDR dealer, and put in an order for a Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude.

This is my very first “American” branded vehicle.

What you need to understand is that I was VERY jaded. You know the stereotype, the guy who absolutely REFUSES to consider an American car…. That was me. I ONLY bought Japanese. My shopping list went like this: Honda, Toyota, and if I could not find something I wanted after that, I didn’t get anything. And my attitude on that was hard wired, very stained with experience.

You see, back in the 70’s and 80’s, when I was young, our family (well, my mom…) was all about GM vehicles. The problem was that she purchased a succession of GM vehicles, that were ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Constantly in the shop getting fixed. BRAND NEW vehicles…. So bad, that stuff would just fall off. STRAIGHT TRASH. She tried a Chrysler… same deal. Later, my sister got one of the first Hyundai Excel cars that were available... GARBAGE. The last one my mom got was a Cadillac Cimarron (yeah, yeah, I know…). Before that one could fall apart, a drunk driver totaled it while it was parked on the street.

I watched all of this, and swore that I would NEVER waste my money on an American car.

Meanwhile, I got my driver’s license, and got a very cheap used 1977 Honda Civic (cost me $500) as my first car. Total rust bucket. Had a rust hole in the floor you could almost stick your feet through (think Flintstones). Big puff of smoke when I started that thing, but every time I started it, it ran. Got me everywhere I wanted to go. Eventually, I got sick of the rust, and traded it in for a 1980 model Civic. TOTALLY RELIABLE little car. Really, if I had kept it, I could STILL be driving that car.

My mom came and asked me about what I thought she should do about her car, and I told her…. Buy a Japanese car. A few months after that, she bought a Lexus, and hasn’t had a car problem since.

So after all that, you can imagine that Jeep was nowhere near my shopping list. I looked at Honda Passport. I looked at Subaru Outback. I really thought about a Toyota 4Runner. I test drove that one a few times. I reluctantly looked at the new Bronco. Other stuff bored me. But every time I talked about what I wanted out of my new vehicle, my wife said “Sounds like a Jeep!”. I decided to test drive a Jeep. I went to some CarMax lots and drove several models. I lurked in this forum, still intending on getting something else. But bottom line, I did not really like how the 4Runner felt. It felt like driving around on a waterbed. So spongy…. But I actually LIKED how the Jeep handled. The interior was very nice, and I noticed that the Jeep community is STRONG! People LOVE their Jeeps!

So, to shorten this long post, I decided to give the Jeep a try. I placed my order 2 years ago. I told my sales guy, "I'm giving you guys a chance..." And the end result…. Jeep, you have converted me! This Jeep is a blast to drive, can handle going ALL the way out to the boonies and remote observing sites, can carry all of my gear, and is more than reliable enough to get me back home. I have had 0 problems. Yes, I know about the clutch recall, but I haven’t had any issues yet, and will get that done once the parts are available to me.

This Jeep has certainly changed my opinion! I’ll be staying with Jeep for the foreseeable future!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangle Sahara
Hi Charles!
Great post!
We are very similar in the car world. My dad is a car collector and GM only man! My first car was a 1982 Honda Prelude and if I didn't have kids I would still be driving it.
I was a Honda only owner for years until I moved to the beach and all there are is Jeeps driving around! I bought a 2015 Jeep Sahara Wrangler had it for 7 years with ZERO issues. Traded it in with 120,000 miles for a 2022 Jeep Sahara Altitude, unfortunately at 17,000 miles I started having the famous Death Wobble! Scariest thing every to go through! After 4 trips to the dealer and many parts replaced so far it seems to be fixed! I was determined not to have to get rid of it..I love my Jeep!! Best thing ever to drive on the beach, unload our stuff and enjoy the day!

Jeep On and Enjoy!

IMG_8208.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg