Sponsored

Transfer case drain and fill

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
We don’t remove skid armor on the diesel to perform a drain and fill of the transfer case do we?

Just took a peak under there to see what it would take and it appears to not be worth the effort to take off all of the armor that appears to include the gas and cat skids.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The book procedure does include removing the skids. There is a drain and fill plug.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
We don’t remove skid armor on the diesel to perform a drain and fill of the transfer case do we?

Just took a peak under there to see what it would take and it appears to not be worth the effort to take off all of the armor that appears to include the gas and cat skids.
@the_jeepeo

Guys/gals do remove the skid plate, but it is far easier and also there is no chance of breaking off bolts, etc., to just fashion something like this to facilitate draining.. Service time is less also, if you do not remove the skid.

You place this between the drain hole and the skid plate.... you pull the plug and the fluid runs along it, and then into the drain pan. No big mess on the skid plate and no pulling the skid plate.

This is an aluminum foil pan you get at the dollar store, etc.. You just cut the shape and fold up the edges. It's about say 16" long and about 4-5 inches wide. Easily cleaned when you get done so you have for next time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer case drain and fill 20210115_193745

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@the_jeepeo

Guys/gals do remove the skid plate, but it is far easier and also there is no chance of breaking off bolts, etc., to just fashion something like this to facilitate draining.. Service time is less also, if you do not remove the skid.

You place this between the drain hole and the skid plate.... you pull the plug and the fluid runs along it, and then into the drain pan. No big mess on the skid plate and no pulling the skid plate.

This is an aluminum foil pan you get at the dollar store, etc.. You just cut the shape and fold up the edges. It's about say 16" long and about 4-5 inches wide. Easily cleaned when you get done so you have for next time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer case drain and fill 20210115_193745
Nice tip!

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
I didn't feel any need to remove the skid plate. I did attach a small hose to the bottle when filling but if you buy the fluid in the bags you shouldn't need it. It was a very easy task.

IMG_20240327_134548283.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
the_jeepeo

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I didn't feel any need to remove the skid plate. I did attach a small hose to the bottle when filling but if you buy the fluid in the bags you shouldn't need it. It was a very easy task.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer case drain and fill IMG_20240327_134548283
2 quarts more than enough to fill the diesel transfer case?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I strongly encourage you not to do the transfer case fluid deed unless you have 3 containers on hand!

Yes 3.... on hand.......... Expect to use 4.5 pts for the Transfer Case. Again, if you spill or squirt or whatever you want enough fluid on hand.

You don't want to be in the midst of the deed and not have enough fluid at hand to get-er done.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
This is what I did from my research on the forum and a trip to my local dealership; they specifically told me to make sure my jeep is level. I actually used my floor jack and a level, as my garage floor is not 100% level. After completely drained, give it a generous squirt of new fluid to flush residual fluid out & any potential metal shavings. (you may need to do this more than once) Clean off any metal shavings and sludge from the plug. When filling, once fluid starts to come out of the fill hole that's it, all done, it's full.

My 2023 3.6l JL Sport took just shy of 2 quarts to fill but more was needed to flush so having a 3rd quart on hand was necessary, I'll use the remainder on my next change.

Draining: I used a small hand pump from Harbor Freight which worked very well to change out the axle fluids, I will completely remove the cover in the future during another fluid change. I changed both front & rear axles & transfer case at 5000 miles per @CarbonSteel recommendations. I believe this is for two main reasons for a brand-new vehicle; to remove any potential metal shavings and to make sure the vehicle has the correct amount of fluid in it. Did it feel like over kill? Yes, but better safe than sorry. Visually I saw no sign of any metal, it has the correct fluid, at the correct level. (Piece of mind) If you're doing this yourself, it is very easy and affordable.

Best of luck my friend.

Last edited:

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I just did my first transfer case fluid change at 39,000 miles, along with everything else including brake fluid flush. I had to drop my MORE steel skid plate. I use the AMSOIL squeeze sacks for filling some things, in this instance I bought a 1 gallon jug of Signature ATF and used my ATF hand pump to fill it up. Factory fill was a little dark, but not much in terms of shavings.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

This reminds me it’s probably time to do mine. 31k miles and towing/wheeling…
Sponsored