Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
...auxiliary battery left in its place and connected.
Seems you misread what I wrote.

I said, "...if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts...", Meaning the auxiliary battery is not connected. ;) ?

So basically if you disconnect the auxiliary battery from the main battery, you can jump the main battery and start the vehicle.
Sponsored

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
STW, how can the start stop still being working with the auxiliary bypassed?

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
He indicated that it did in the post above. Just wondering how.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Seems you misread what I wrote.

I said, "...if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts...", Meaning the auxiliary battery is not connected. ;) ?

So basically if you disconnect the auxiliary battery from the main battery, you can jump the main battery and start the vehicle.
It is not wired or connected the way your indicating. If and when you do remove your auxiliary battery you will see the auxiliary battery has its own dedicated negative and positive battery cables. Furthermore if you remove the auxiliary battery you want to connect these auxiliary battery cables to the main battery. ?

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Quoted what he said
"if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts, you can still jumpstart the Jeep without issue."
Not the same.....

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I've seen this discussed a few times since I joined. I can tell you that my auto start/stop is never available, even after a 52 mile trip, 40 of which is straight 60 MPH backroads without a stop sign, it is never ready. I always push the button to disable in town, but the few times I want it to work, it won't.

My 'fear' of having to be digging down and such is shock. If I pull the main battery terminals and the main battery out, the auxiliary battery is still energizing the system as I understand it. Once that negative terminal is disconnected then the system is deenergized. Correct? The main thing I want is to be able to to use my GB40 if the battery fails in a quick fashion, not having to do rewiring in haste someplace.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's a very poor engineered battery system that is the culprit. If you have an auxiliary battery you lose the ability to jumpstart your vehicle in the event of a dead battery.
From what I understand that issue was remedied very early in the JL cycle.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

From what I understand that issue was remedied very early in the JL cycle.
Early? Mine 2020 JLUAD Full Limp Mode because of the auxiliary battery. Resulting flat bed tow to the dealership,
Fix :
Removed the aux battery permanently, All issues remedied. ++ no aux battery to replace $$ or access every 2-3 yrs. For me the biggest benefit being able to jump start the one main battery in the event it dies. With jumper cables or battery jumper pack. Especially if I'm out in the outback on an overland trip away from all services. IMO Priceless! Peace of mind. ✌

Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
I've seen this discussed a few times since I joined. I can tell you that my auto start/stop is never available, even after a 52 mile trip, 40 of which is straight 60 MPH backroads without a stop sign, it is never ready. I always push the button to disable in town, but the few times I want it to work, it won't.
My ESS rarely works, except for the summertime on occasion. Evidently there is a long laundry list of conditions that have to be met before it will actually work. I always disable it as soon as I get in the jeep but occasionally I will turn it on to see if it will actually work and it never does. Fine with me, as it is a completely useless feature.

OP
OP

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I don't think we made 3 years this time. We ordered a 2021 the day orders were started - so I think we took delievery in October. If that is correct, we got 2.5 years. It is a daily driver usually, so sitting should not have caused any discharge. We seem to own a small fleet of vehicles, but the Jeep is the one that sits the least often. Anyway, a local shop is trying to get me a set of Interstates. The Aux will be of a questionable size unfortunately. I think Interstate might make a single battery to deal with Group 12, Group 14, and Group 400. Perhaps the only real advantage of Interstate - as this battery should not have been sitting on a shelf long. I got one battery for another car that had 2 years of shelf life before I purchased it - it lasted less than 6 months.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Early? Mine 2020 JLUAD Full Limp Mode because of the auxiliary battery. Resulting flat bed tow to the dealership,
Fix :
Removed the aux battery permanently, All issues remedied. ++ no aux battery to replace $$ or access every 2-3 yrs. For me the biggest benefit being able to jump start the one main battery in the event it dies. With jumper cables or battery jumper pack. Especially if I'm out in the outback on an overland trip away from all services. IMO Priceless! Peace of mind. ✌
This.

Purchase ESS disabler that remembers last setting. Shut it off and now forget it completely.

Remove aux battery. Use it for fun little projects around your place. The battery is fine the designed system it’s in is the problem.

Connect the aux batteries positive and negative cables to the main battery posts. Don’t pull any fuses or any other nonsense.

Buy a jumpstart battery pack and keep it in the back of your Jeep.

Enjoy your battery issue free Jeep.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
When time to replace I always get the highest CCA battery that’ll fit the battery box on a vehicle. Never, ever will regret having MORE juice, esp with a diesel and/or a winch.

The bad side of getting a higher CCA is that it they have a shorter life span than lower CCA batteries. The plates in a higher cranking amp lead acid battery are thinner so they can pack as many as they can in the battery in order to increase it's cranking amps. The down side is that these thin plates dissipate their energy quicker.

Lower CCA and/or deep cycle lead acid batteries has less plates, but these plates are much larger with greater energy holding capacity. While they do not put out as much cranking amps as the short burst high CCA batteries, they have a much greater reserve energy capacity and can be recharged more often without as much degradation as the higher CCA batteries. This reserve is why they are sometimes better for winch applications.

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
Can anyone tell me if this is not good. 2023 EcoDiesel. Main battery went kaput. Local shop recommended a Optima Red Top 34/78. After coming home, I researched Optima, Optima website only listed Yellow Tops (H6 or H7) as direct fitment. Is this Optima Red Top that was installed gonna be bad choice? Side note: I previously did the aux battery bypass (fuse pull and negative cable disconnect), so I am only utilizing main battery, and I always turn stop/start off. Will this Red Top installed be enough for tne diesel engine?
Sponsored