Sponsored

Speaker Problem: Loose Amp Connectors, NOT Tazer Mini´s Fault.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT....This turned out not to be the Tazer Mini´s fault. Read below @Jeepeto ´s reply and see the real culprit, which was loose connectors for the amp, which was a factory assembly issue. I´m leaving this thread up in hopes it helps someone else in the future.

I connected my Tazer Mini last night and it immediately caused the front speakers to lose all sound. I rebooted, restarted my phone (It would not hold a call and I could not hear anyone because phone voce goes through the front speakers.) Nothing helped. I then unmarried it and checked all the connections and re-married it. The front speakers started working again, but now with a very muffled sound. For a short bit, they cleared up and were normal. I stopped at a gas station, fired back up and they were muffled again and won't return to normal. I have rebooted several times, unmarried it, plugged the plugs back in as they should be without the Tazer, and the speakers are now muffled even without it.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm calling ZAuto Monday. I hope it didn't do any permanent damage. My next move will be to unmarry, disconnect it, return everything to normal (security plugs in their normal spot) and then do a full reboot with the fuse pulled.

I have an old Tazer JL in my JLUR and have never, ever had a problem with it. But I'm wishing now that I had never tried the mini in my Gladiator. This is really a head scratcher.

Btw, the Tazer is up to date. I did the update about a month ago. But still, I've never had issues like this with it (in my ex wife's Jeep) or my old Tazer JL.

I'm hoping to get this resolved without having to do some kind of expensive reflash at the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Sorry for your issues but thanks for the post. You and others have reported a variety of issues with the Tazr Mini, so many that I have decided not to purchase one. I wanted to activate the rear camera when using the turn signals but not at the expense of screwing up something else.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it healed itself today. Worked fine. Speakers are back to normal.

I've never had an issue with my old Tazer JL, but this mini has had them. It has caused battery drain in three different Jeeps. I was told by ZAuto to disable the in-motion feature and that would stop it. Nope. It was never enabled.

I'm going to keep running it for awhile and see what happens. The main thing I'm watching for is battery drain. It has the latest firmware update, so hopefully it will perform normally. But the speaker issue really pissed me off. I thought I was going to have to pay for a re-flash at the dealer, or worse.

I have an AEV Pro-Cal that came with my Gladiator's Dualsport 2.5 lift. If I have anymore issues, then I'll move to the Pro-Cal and be done with it.

Red19

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Sorry for your issues but thanks for the post. You and others have reported a variety of issues with the Tazr Mini, so many that I have decided not to purchase one. I wanted to activate the rear camera when using the turn signals but not at the expense of screwing up something else.
This was the same reason I bought the tazer but I ended up turning off the feature. Because of the backup lens it seems like cars are further behind you than they are so I didn’t want to chance relying on it.

I’ve also had bugs with mine, like turning the hazards on when parked makes the engine shut off, and the radio playing after the Jeep is off and locked. I just took it out to go to the dealer and am unsure about using it again. I might try JScan.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you have the upgraded sound system the amp is right next to where you plug in the tazer. I had this issue early on with my rig too. Intermittent speaker issues, they’d come and go at random, it ended up being the speaker harness was just loose in the amp and needed to be pushed in. I’d give all the amp connectors a good push and make sure you don’t have one that’s loose

IMG_2088.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the upgraded sound system the amp is right next to where you plug in the tazer. I had this issue early on with my rig too. Intermittent speaker issues, they’d come and go at random, it ended up being the speaker harness was just loose in the amp and needed to be pushed in. I’d give all the amp connectors a good push and make sure you don’t have one that’s loose

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Problem:  Loose Amp Connectors, NOT Tazer Mini´s Fault. IMG_2088
Thank you! I'll bet that's it! I will check those tomorrow, for sure!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Problem:  Loose Amp Connectors, NOT Tazer Mini´s Fault. IMG_2088
Sure enough, one of the plugs to the amp was loose and clicked right in. I can't thank you enough!

So far, the Tazer is working as it should. I'm watching the voltage. The real test will be when I leave it sitting for 3 days. Hopefully the latest update will have fixed the battery drain.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sure enough, one of the plugs to the amp was loose and clicked right in. I can't thank you enough!

So far, the Tazer is working as it should. I'm watching the voltage. The real test will be when I leave it sitting for 3 days. Hopefully the latest update will have fixed the battery drain.
You’re very welcome Dan. I chased this issue 1,500 miles from home while road tripping, even going so far as to pull the head unit in a dollar general parking lot looking for loose connections. When I got home I started digging for the amp location and sure enough it was the problem. Didn’t save me driving home with an awful listening experience, but I was glad it was such a simple fix. When you mentioned it was new since the Tazer install I figured it was a very good chance that you bumped the harness during the install and had the same issue. I’m glad it was an easy fix! FWIW, (not much, a single anecdotal data point) I’ve had a great experience with the Tazer JL Mini, I hope it comes around for you ?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’re very welcome Dan. I chased this issue 1,500 miles from home while road tripping, even going so far as to pull the head unit in a dollar general parking lot looking for loose connections. When I got home I started digging for the amp location and sure enough it was the problem. Didn’t save me driving home with an awful listening experience, but I was glad it was such a simple fix. When you mentioned it was new since the Tazer install I figured it was a very good chance that you bumped the harness during the install and had the same issue. I’m glad it was an easy fix! FWIW, (not much, a single anecdotal data point) I’ve had a great experience with the Tazer JL Mini, I hope it comes around for you ?
Wow! Well, you saved me a bunch of frustration.

My Tazer JL has been flawless, so I'm hoping the Mini can duplicate that after a rocky start. I'll keep you posted. I should know in the next couple weeks, once it has sat 3 days in a row.
Sponsored