Sponsored

What is this crossmember for and why do I need it?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Jeep Wrangler JL What is this crossmember for and why do I need it? مقارنة

So I am looking to install some Metalcloak Geometry Brackets and they are using the bolts on that first crossmember that is covering the oil pan and and attached to the transmission crossmember. What is it there for? Metalcloak says that it is removed from most lifted Jeeps so that the front driveshaft doesn't touch. Ideas?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

that is the oil pan protection bar. had one on my 18 jlu with the 6 speed manual trans

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
It's there to add protection for the oil pan. I've heard it's a skid plate more than a structural crossmember. A lot of full body skid plates tell you to remove that crossmember. I think there's only two skid plate manufacturers that use it, one being asfir.

Me personally, I like it being there and feel like Jeep put it there for a reason, and that's my reason to leave it. The majority on the forum say you can safely remove it.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/factory-transmission-skid-plate.76644/

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Jeep Wrangler JL What is this crossmember for and why do I need it? مقارنة

So I am looking to install some Metalcloak Geometry Brackets and they are using the bolts on that first crossmember that is covering the oil pan and and attached to the transmission crossmember. What is it there for? Metalcloak says that it is removed from most lifted Jeeps so that the front driveshaft doesn't touch. Ideas?
I think it’s there to hit every rock on the Rubicon Trail. I got high centered on that cross member more than once. It’s now quite mangled but still attached. The ASFIR engine/trans skid plate is not bent in the correct place to make a clean installation so maybe my crossmember is a touch low. Maybe I should just remove it, too.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The ASFIR engine/trans skid plate is not bent in the correct place to make a clean installation so maybe my crossmember is a touch low.
I went back and forth with Asfir regarding that very issue. Tiring of my good faith efforts to obtain resolution, and because they eventually went silent, I requested and received a chargeback with my card issuer. That got their attention, and a prepaid return label arrived lickity split. Funny how that works.

Still wondering which brand to choose for Attempt #2.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
So Metalcloak called and said that their bracket uses those holes that attach the crossmember to the frame. I will probably remove it.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed that as part of the Evo oil pan/transmission skid plate installation.

It was utilized with the Westin skid plates that were on previously.
Sponsored