Trying to get a NY Inspection

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
So I am trying to get an inspection on my ‘22 JLURD. It will not pass for the O2 monitor and the Cat monitor not ready.I have a GDE tune and they are saying that I have to drive it 600-1000 miles after a DPF regen. Is there a way to force a regen to start the monitor cycle or a way to see when the last regen occurred?
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Did you recently disconnect the battery or clear some codes? Otherwise the ECU should already have all the readiness parameters/drive cycles finished.

Also, I thought someone on here figured out how to force a regen on the 3.0 but can’t remember who did it.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did unmarry and remove the Tazer and reconnected the SGW. Not sure if unplugging that would cause a battery disconnect that would necessitate that monitors would need to be reset. Drove it 150 miles after that and the monitors did not reset.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 becasue I pulled the Tazer about 150 miles ago am I stuck? GDE says that I might have to go 600-1000 miles after a regen to get the Cat and O2 monitors to reset.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I did unmarry and remove the Tazer and reconnected the SGW. Not sure if unplugging that would cause a battery disconnect that would necessitate that monitors would need to be reset. Drove it 150 miles after that and the monitors did not reset.
I'm very familiar with NYS Inspection and the JL with a Tazer JL installed.

Best bet us to unmarry the Tazer JL a few weeks and say 500+ miles before a NYS Inspection... but..

You should have gone to a NYS Inspector at say a repair shop and not a dealership for the NYS inspection.

Then just have left the Tazer JL married and installed. Also, you should not have done any live feature deeds or any changes with the Tazer JL say within the last 500 or miles and a week or so..

Anyway, do as above and the NYS Inspector's computer (It communicates to State system) will allow the inspection and not cry foul because it sees recent activity.. The Inspector's computer has never had issues with the installed Tazer JL on my vehicle..

Also.... JSCAN and others that you do deeds with are to be avoided in the weeks... and say 500 miles or so before you go for a NYS Inspection.

NO, no way to force a regen of the "monitoring cycle" you mentioned.

Note: SmartStopStart unit can be left in place and will not impact NYS Inspection in any way.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 becasue I pulled the Tazer about 150 miles ago am I stuck? GDE says that I might have to go 600-1000 miles after a regen to get the Cat and O2 monitors to reset.
Leave the unmarried Tazer JL disconnected.... and yes, now you will have to wait for the regen. completion. Even if you are friendly / a buddy of the Inspector, there is no way around this... because of Inspection computer involvement..

With the NYS Inspection, it is always best to have the NYS Inspection done at the very start of the month it is due. This way, if you have an issue you have a month to...

Getting a programmer out of the mix, weeks and hundreds of miles earlier is best when any State Inspection is coming up. ALSO, do not replace your JL's battery(s) or disco the battery(s) for any reason prior to inspection.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 thanks. Got backed up with the inspection because I had to get the windshield replaced. So glad I paid extra for Gorilla Glass ;). That was worth it. I'll just keep driving it. Thanks for your help.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I'm very familiar with NYS Inspection and the JL with a Tazer JL installed.

Best bet us to unmarry the Tazer JL a few weeks and say 500+ miles before a NYS Inspection... but..

You should have gone to a NYS Inspector at say a repair shop and not a dealership for the NYS inspection.

Then just have left the Tazer JL married and installed. Also, you should not have done any live feature deeds or any changes with the Tazer JL say within the last 500 or miles and a week or so..

Anyway, do as above and the NYS Inspector's computer (It communicates to State system) will allow the inspection and not cry foul because it sees recent activity.. The Inspector's computer has never had issues with the installed Tazer JL on my vehicle..

Also.... JSCAN and others that you do deeds with are to be avoided in the weeks... and say 500 miles or so before you go for a NYS Inspection.

NO, no way to force a regen of the "monitoring cycle" you mentioned.

Note: SmartStopStart unit can be left in place and will not impact NYS Inspection in any way.

Do you have knowledge or information on the Bank Derringer. I recently went in for the mandatory 2 year inspection. In dreaded California. Went to a competent Jeep service department not near me. I received similar comments (cat sensor) ( something ? regen)
needing to drive further according to the service writers who plugged in their scanner device. They were getting ready to send me on my way. But then asked the very competent mechanic and he replied "just send it back here no problem". In 20 minutes I was done driving home. I didn't have a chance to talk to the busy mechanic but my question to you is, Do I need to go to the trouble of removing the Derringer/ Pedal Monster next time?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have knowledge or information on the Bank Derringer. I recently went in for the mandatory 2 year inspection. In dreaded California. Went to a competent Jeep service department not near me. I received similar comments (cat sensor) ( something ? regen)
needing to drive further according to the service writers who plugged in their scanner device. They were getting ready to send me on my way. But then asked the very competent mechanic and he replied "just send it back here no problem". In 20 minutes I was done driving home. I didn't have a chance to talk to the busy mechanic but my question to you is, Do I need to go to the trouble of removing the Derringer/ Pedal Monster next time?
In regard to NYS Inspections done now a days... the Inspector hooks up the vehicle to a computer that is part of the state's system. The Inspector then does the Inspection. There are even cameras that monitor the process that send video feed to the State. They watch to see if the Inspector say pulls a wheel to check brake pads, looks over lights, measures window tint %, etc..

Anyway, if the attached computer picks up on an issue, etc., it is not like the old days lets say where the Inspector can pass a vehicle that has an issue(s) that he is willing to overlook. SURE, the Inspector can have a few tricks, like camera positioned temporarily in a position that does not see things he does.

As for your Bank Derringer.. I am not familiar with one. Never tested one / or used one.... but I'm pretty confident there would be issues if one was in play on inspection day or recently.

Best bet I do feel is to remove the add a couple of weeks earlier and over say 500 mi. earlier then State Inspection day. As mentioned in my previous post... be sure you have not done a battery(s) disconnect either..

For those with a Pedal Commander. At NYS Inspection time, you can leave it installed. There will be no issues inspection wise thanks to the PC. I never had any over the years running a PC.

Sponsored

Neutrino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
I have a scan gauge III and there is available information on regens and current status.

Distance since last generation, Average regen distance, Regen trigger are some of the ones I keep an eye on for the DPF.

Bluedriver will show test readiness for emissions over the OBD2 port.

AlfaOBD will do some nifty things as well like manually starting a DPF Regen cycle on next engine start. I have not investigated anything else related to the emissions.

hope that info helps in some way...
good luck!

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it all figured out. Hers is up next month so this weekend, I’m going to unmarry and pull the Tazer, use JScan to set the tire size and tpms threshold, and drive it to make sure the Cat and O2 monitors reset before the end of the month.
Sponsored