Sponsored

BulletProof Supplemental Cooling System 2021-2023 Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler Diesel

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Well I’ll be damned. Look at this:

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/products/bulletproof-supplemental-cooling-system-2021-2023-jeep-diesel

Description

Enjoy improved cooling for your Jeep Diesel engine with the BulletProof Supplemental Cooling System. By adding an additional external radiator, this cooling system increases the cooling capacity to minimize 'defuel' conditions while towing. Enjoy more power and added engine durability.

We tested our 2021 Jeep Gladiator under some of the most extreme conditions both while towing at close to maximum tow ratings and during summer temperatures of over 100 degrees in the Arizona desert. With the Supplemental Radiator installed, while towing approximately 5500 pounds at about 90 degrees ambient air temperature, pulling a 7% grade up Mt Ord (highway 87) there was an improvement of about 11 MPH and 25% engine power available, as compared to stock.

IMG_5246.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Does anyone else have the impression that they pulled those numbers out of their ass?
Perhaps, but BPD is a well respected performance parts company in the diesel world.

Sponsored

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
I live in Payson, AZ, on highway 87 they are talking about. 90 degrees is winter. I drove it yesterday and it was 105 and that was a cool day with rain in the area. I've seen 118 over there.

I keep an eye on all cooling related items for Wranglers. I'm getting my first one soon, ordered it in May. I have great concern about the cooling capabilities, as I am in Arizona, on these roads with steep grades, and will be off roading in the same areas. I'm hopping the new grill helps with better airflow. I also got the 3.6 and it seems to have the least amount of cooling problems compared to the diesel and turbo power plants. Crossing my fingers.

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Well, I ordered it. I’m surprised no one has commented on this thread with any real discussion. We 3.0 owners have been discussing and complaining about the cooling aspect of this engine non-stop, asking why aftermarket companies haven’t produced a solution. Now one of the big names in diesel performance has dropped a cooling system upgrade and crickets.

Sheesh.

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I live in Payson, AZ, on highway 87 they are talking about. 90 degrees is winter. I drove it yesterday and it was 105 and that was a cool day with rain in the area. I've seen 118 over there.

I keep an eye on all cooling related items for Wranglers. I'm getting my first one soon, ordered it in May. I have great concern about the cooling capabilities, as I am in Arizona, on these roads with steep grades, and will be off roading in the same areas. I'm hopping the new grill helps with better airflow. I also got the 3.6 and it seems to have the least amount of cooling problems compared to the diesel and turbo power plants. Crossing my fingers.
Last year there was an AZ member who spoke at length with the folks over at Bulletproof Diesel. They had said they were working on a fix for the cooling system but hadn’t figured it out yet. A few months later they said they gave up on it because they couldn’t figure out where to mount the dang aux cooler.

Looks like they came back to it and found a solution. This could be what we all have been asking for.

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
Well, I ordered it. I’m surprised no one has commented on this thread with any real discussion. We 3.0 owners have been discussing and complaining about the cooling aspect of this engine non-stop, asking why aftermarket companies haven’t produced a solution. Now one of the big names in diesel performance has dropped a cooling system upgrade and crickets.

Sheesh.
Before installing, gather some data your self. What temps does it run on certain roads in the heat of the day. Get some averages before install.

Install it, run same tests and report back your findings. Hopefully it helps drop temps by at least 5 to 8 degrees.

Have you tried the JT grill? What about trying the 24 grill with better airflow? I've heard the JT grill drops temps in the JL, pre 2024 grill. And it seems the 2024 grill will also drop temps. Only testing with accurate data will tell the story correctly.

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Before installing, gather some data your self. What temps does it run on certain roads in the heat of the day. Get some averages before install.

Install it, run same tests and report back your findings. Hopefully it helps drop temps by at least 5 to 8 degrees.

Have you tried the JT grill? What about trying the 24 grill with better airflow? I've heard the JT grill drops temps in the JL, pre 2024 grill. And it seems the 2024 grill will also drop temps. Only testing with accurate data will tell the story correctly.
The larger mesh grille comes with the front camera option, so those of us that chose that have the grill. I haven’t tried the 2024 grille yet.

I’ll definitely be testing this thing out. I figure some pulls up Cajon pass will show some good before and after numbers.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Well I’ll be damned. Look at this:

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/products/bulletproof-supplemental-cooling-system-2021-2023-jeep-diesel

Description

Enjoy improved cooling for your Jeep Diesel engine with the BulletProof Supplemental Cooling System. By adding an additional external radiator, this cooling system increases the cooling capacity to minimize 'defuel' conditions while towing. Enjoy more power and added engine durability.

We tested our 2021 Jeep Gladiator under some of the most extreme conditions both while towing at close to maximum tow ratings and during summer temperatures of over 100 degrees in the Arizona desert. With the Supplemental Radiator installed, while towing approximately 5500 pounds at about 90 degrees ambient air temperature, pulling a 7% grade up Mt Ord (highway 87) there was an improvement of about 11 MPH and 25% engine power available, as compared to stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL BulletProof Supplemental Cooling System 2021-2023 Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler Diesel IMG_5246
Price tag is fairly reasonable, but that location is HORRIBLE!

If you plan on doing any off-roading at all, that area is all covered up. The screws that are connect my bumper skid and my steel bumper are stripped. They're locked in place, but they're not coming undone. So I'd have to take off my whole front bumper just to install that, no thanks!

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

If you plan on doing any off-roading at all, that area is all covered up. The screws that are connect my bumper skid and my steel bumper are stripped. They're locked in place, but they're not coming undone. So I'd have to take off my whole front bumper just to install that, no thanks!
I’m not the type to just give up without physically trying. I’ll be the Guinea pig. I wheel plenty and hard so time will tell if this is a functional idea or not.

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

My main concern is if it’ll clear the winch plate. I’ll have to give BPD a call Monday and see what they say.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Description states designed for stock bumper and I am running a Smitty XRC. Sent them an email asking if it might fit. I will let you know. Very intrigued..

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
This is the one I've been eyeing myself. But I don't tow at all so I probably won't bother looking into this for a good long time.

However those of you who are interested in oil coolers right now, this post is for you:

https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/threads/ram-ecodiesel-oil-cooler-delete-kit-now-available.679/

https://dandjdiesel.com/

Their website doesn't show products like the HD oil cooler kit, so it kind of looks like you'll have to call them and see what they say.

All of the applications I've seen for this specific kit show it going in your grill area. I'm not sure how much space there is in this area on the Wrangler versus on the Gladiator and the RAM EcoDiesels, but it definitely looks like a better option in my opinion versus an area that's going to be covered up by skid plates.

Again, I would call them and talk to them if you are interested, their website doesn't seem to provide too much information towards this kit specifically.

Jeep Wrangler JL BulletProof Supplemental Cooling System 2021-2023 Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler Diesel god-speed-gotta-go
Sponsored